Welcome to our Community! Here, you’ll find open ears, discussions, advice from people like you: people with spinal cord injury as well as their relatives and friends.
Why this Community exists
No matter you roll or walk — life is what you make it out of your opportunities. We are convinced that, together, we can achieve more for people with spinal cord injury and their environment.
Who we are
- people with spinal cord injury: young and old, experienced and green
- loved ones, siblings, friends, and colleagues of people with spinal cord injury
- researchers, experts and experienced coworkers of the Swiss Paraplegic Group in Nottwil
- silent listeners and avid storytellers.
We all are this Community.
How we roll
This Community is as good and useful as we make it:
- If we like posts, we let the author know. By giving a like or leaving a comment, you are promoting a lively discussion and a committed Community.
- We maintain a positive atmosphere and meet each other with respect, understand, and, therefore, let others have different opinions from our own. Insults and abuse have no place here.
- Be honest, play a part in the discussions here, but renounce spam posts. Please read our Terms and Conditions for more detailed information.
- Secure your privacy and others’ by posting without publishing personal data such as addresses, telephone numbers, etc.
- Your private data is secure with us. We do not pass them on to third parties, and – apart from your username – no one can see them.
- The user-generated content published in this Community is based on personal experiences, not necessarily on medical expertise. Use this content as you see fit. You can receive medical advice from a dedicated expert.
- This Community does not offer an emergency service. If you or someone you know is in urgent need of help, call a doctor or an emergency number at a hospital close to you.
This Community is more than a group of people whose lives are just connected by spinal cord injury.
What unites us are shared...
- experiences & stories
- goals & wishes
- fears & worries
- setbacks & successes.
To not lose sight of why we support each other, we created the Community Manifesto. Read it, share it, adapt it!
Getting up happens in your head
No matter if you roll or walk – life is what you make of your opportunities.
You can make your own decisions. Fight for that.
Do something that scares you every day.
Celebrate every success. Even if it might seem small.
Don’t be upset about the pity you receive. Transform it into incentive.
Because getting up happens in your head.
Everyone of us loses the ground under their feet sometimes. Don’t be ashamed.
Sorrow, joy, hope are emotions we all feel the same way.
Your story is precious. She might help all relevant people.
Learn from from others, and let others learn from you.
Respect different opinions and perceptions. They enrich this Community.
Your brain can only focus on one thought at a time – chose a positive one.
Because getting up happens in your head.
This is your life. It’s the most precious thing you have.
Dear Community users,
Welcome on the new Community! We are thrilled to welcome you back 😊
As mentioned before in this blog post, here you’ll not only see a new design but also new boards, improved features and new or updated contents. Here a few highlights:
- The new “Private” board on the Forum is only visible for registered users and cannot be found through Google. Therefore, if you can’t see it, make sure you are signed in 😉
- The new “Marketplace” offers a separate space for personal, non-commercial ads.
- The contents of most of the Wiki articles with basic knowledge about the topic of spinal cord injury have been updated. Some new articles will be added – all written by experts from Swiss Paraplegic Centre in Nottwil.
- New is the board “Latest Tips” in the section “About the Community”. Here we give a short and concise summary of links, newspaper articles, events, discussions, etc. on the topics spinal cord injury, disability and the Community to keep you in the loop. Also here your comments are much appreciated!
- As promised, your personal messages will still be available – and are much better presented as discussion threads. Take a look here 😊
- We have now made it easier to subscribe to contents via email – simply click on the “Subscribe via email” button above on the right, confirm, done!
- Your personal profile is better organized and includes only the main features – see here for yourselves!
- As you can see on many pages, the Community has also changed its look by adding numerous and changing pictures 😉
- On the new homepage, you can directly access more relevant contents from the whole Community.
- The new, more flexible software now allows us to implement your requests faster. It is open source, i.e. it is being improved continuously according to the feedback of numerous users. This means that maybe not everything is perfect yet – but that we can solve issues quickly with your help.
What you might need to do on the new website if you have not already done so:
- If you have a user profile, you should have received an email with a temporary new password. Sign in using this password and your user name. You will then be able to choose your own password in your profile. If you have not received the email, please contact us – our contact information is at the very bottom of this page.
- If you have subscribed to contents from the Community via email, you have to re-subscribe to these contents. As mentioned above, luckily this is very easy 😉
- If you have saved links to subpages of the Community – e.g. to a Forum board or a Wiki article – you will have to bookmark them again.
We ask you for your patience if some contents are not available within the first few days or if not everything works smoothly. Any comments regarding linguistic errors or technical issues are much appreciated!
We sincerely hope that you’ll like this new website. Share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comments section below or also on the board “Your Questions and Ideas”!
And now have fun on the new Community!
Your Community Team