To Homepage

Assistive Technology

1. Wheelie Esteemed Member
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. Tuesday, 06 June 2017
Dear all
I recently came across a stair climbing electric wheelchair. http://www.scewo.ch In their videos and advertisement the product looks awesome. Did anyboy here allready test the Scewo or see it at an exebition?? Or does anybody here have experience with stair climbing electric chairs??

Thanks for your feedback
Johannes
Community-Manager
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Good news for all who would like to try out the Scewo by themselves: according the Scewo constructors, the feedback on their invention was so positive that they decided to bring the Scewo to series production. It's planned for the second half of 2019. Check this newspaper article.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. # 1
kitwan
Community-Manager
I'm sorry to hear about his disappointment and frustration over inventions which are meant for good purposes. But critical comment like this is really discouraging and once again shows that it is not easy to promote science and research. Let's not forget Rome is not built in one day... Research on inventions are equally important as other measures we take to improve the quality of life for all. And I don't think there should be preferences. They all deserve our attention and effort parallelly.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. # 2
Johannes
Community-Manager
Now there was quite a critical comment of a reader (unfortunately, the link is not available anymore) to an article in the Luzerner Zeitung about the Scewo which is similar to the one of the Tagi above.

Basically, the reader says that this wheelchair is way too heavy for daily use and that no wheelchair driver wants to look like sitting on the toilet. For him, it's a typical example of overmotivated able-bodied people inventing useless aids for disabled people.

Instead of such inventions, he recommends to concentrate on accessibility and to stick with the norms on barrier-free building which has benefits non only for wheelchair users.

What do you think about this comment? Is he right?
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. # 3
Johannes
Community-Manager
Wow, yesterday the Scewo made it even to the Tagi (Tages-Anzeiger, Swiss newspaper) – check the article here!

Best regards,

Johannes
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. # 4
kitwan
Community-Manager
Hi Wheelie!
I also learnt about this wheelchair on a German TV show earlier last month:[video]uLLQNW[/video]Watch from around 1:02:25. They talked about it about 5 minutes, not too long... but I think it's rather cool to briefly learn about the mechanism behind the wheelchair :)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Assistive Technology
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies to this topic yet.
Be the first to reply!