Savvy Travel Gadgets for Wheelchair Users
These products can help you enjoy your holidays
Traveling allows us to expand our horizons, submerge in distinct cultures, and enjoy life’s wonders. That is why it is essential to have the necessary gadgets to make the most out of the experience. Such gadgets can help ease the tedious process of packing, settling in and moving around at the new destination. Fortunately, the market offers of a couple of handy products that can make traveling in a wheelchair a tad easier. The following are some products worth checking out.
Gadget #1: Luggage
Good quality luggage is a must! There is always the risk of it getting ruined or even destroyed by the airlines. For that reason, it’s best to invest in a product that will bear just about anything. Here are three brand recommendations:
– Rimowa is a German manufacturer. According to their website, they offer a vast selection of light, durable, and extreme weather resistant luggage. Carole Zoom, an experienced world traveler, uses Rimowa spinners. She claims that they “roll easily and can stack” (source of citation). Bonus: If you register online you obtain a 5-year guarantee.
– Eagle Creek is an American luggage manufacturer. They offer a variety of versatile, sturdy yet lightweight gear for all kinds of travelers. Cory Lee, world traveler and renowned blogger of Curb Free with Cory Lee, pointed out this to be his personal favorite brand as their products are lightweight and easy to roll with. He personally likes the “Tarmac AWD Carry-On”. Bonus: All Eagle Creek luggage is protected by the brand’s No Matter What lifetime warranty.
– Phoenix Instinct designs luggage specifically for wheelchair users. Their “Unstoppable” gear bag twin set was made to attach onto a wheelchair, allowing to easily move heavy luggage while pushing. Phoenix Instinct provides a compatibility guide to ensure the product fits your specific chair. It is recommended to order well prior to traveling. Check out their luggage in action here.
Gadget #2: Shower Equipment
Showering can become a tad problematic especially when hotels abroad lack shower chairs. Not to worry though, Go Mobility Solutions offers the Go-Anywhere Portable Shower Chair line.
The advantages? No tools are required to assemble or disassemble any of the Go-Anywhere chairs and they come in their own suitcase. Perfect for traveling! Here you can watch their ad video.
Gadget #3: Power Assist Devices
There is a variety of power assist devices available that are beneficial in different ways. Here are a couple of practical ones that can ease your travel adventures.
– SmartDrive Mx2+ with the PushTracker wristband can power you up steep ramps, sidewalks, and through thick hotel carpet. To start, control the speed and brake users just tap the wristband against the handrim. It also comes with an anti-rollback feature ideal for when going uphill. Check out their ad video here.
– The Firefly by Rio Mobility is an attachable full power handcycle ideal for manual chairs. Its features include a 90 degree steering, lithium battery, and five speeds that go up to approximately 22 km/hr. To see how the Firefly works click here.
– Freewheel allows your wheelchair casters to be lifted off the ground, turning your chair into a 3-wheeler. Although it is not an electrical device, this gadget still facilitates rides over rough ground and provides more stability. You can watch their short ad movie here.
An organized traveler is a happy traveler. You can find more interesting travel products as well as personal recommendations by wheelchair users here.
Have you have heard of or used any of these products? We would love to hear about your experiences with these or other travel gadgets.